PURE DATA forum~

...that deal with pure data

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 23:24:18

v01pe

example external pan~ not working

hello!

i'm new to externals programming and tried out the examples from the pd-externals-HOWTO.pdf at (http://iem.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/). everything worked, except the pan~ example...

everything complies, but if i try to put an "test~" (renamed from pan~ because there already exists a pan~ object in PD-extended) object, it doesn't work:

test~
... couldn't create

i tried out several variations, but the result stays the same.... has anyone a clue how to fix this, or can someone provide a very basic signal example for an external to me?

#2 2009-01-14 01:55:42

ClaudiusMaximus

Re: example external pan~ not working

the file has to be "test~.pd_linux" (with extension according to OS) with a symbol "test_tilde_setup" exported from it, and the file has to be in pd's path.  I'm guessing it's just a symbol naming issue (would be simpler if there was just "setup" instead of having to guess which name pd would look for, but i guess that's not going to change soon!)

EDIT: oh, and the file has to declare a class called "test~" otherwise the code will load and be executed, but pd won't be able to create the object...

try "pd -verbose" to see where it looks in more detail, in any case

Last edited by ClaudiusMaximus (2009-01-14 02:03:34)

#3 2009-01-17 15:49:06

v01pe

ClaudiusMaximus wrote:

the file has to be "test~.pd_linux"

oh thanks very much! i thought, i can complile more than one pd-object into the same external... so now i know, that there must be one external named equal to the object that it contains, right?!

greetings, -vlp-

#4 2009-02-11 23:25:20

ClaudiusMaximus

Almost: Pd takes the name of the object and runs the matching setup function in the file that matches that name.  You can use the -lib flag to specify the name to use instead of having to create an object, which is useful for multi-object externals (which don't in fact absolutely need to register an object for the file name as far as I know, but it's often there).

#5 2011-11-04 16:51:10

domien

Something like this you mean. Right click the sliders -> properties to check out their names.

|] [] |.| ][|-| -- http://soundcloud.com/domxh

Attachments:
Attachment Icon sliders.pd, Size: 533 bytes, Downloads: 67

• Index
  •  » extra~
  •  » example external pan~ not working

Board footer